Hello friends! I thought I would do something fun & different today. As many of you know I am from the south (Mississippi, USA) I was born in Alabama and I have lived in various southern states in my childhood from Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and spent many summers from May to September in Texas and north Floridia/Georgia area. As most know we have our own language a lot of times. I do know when to be elegant and speak proper (y'all my mama and granny taught me right) and I do not use much of my "southern slang" on my blog. BUT.... you can bet your bottom dollar I do use slang and sound every bit as southern strong accented as expected. In person I will say very strange sayings, most words that end in "G" I leave that letter off and I end at the "N"... Y'all, it is just the way! 😆 And yes..... I say Y'all all the time.... daily, weekly, and I catch myself a lot of times trying not to greet you all on my blog with it.
This is a TRUE FACT! We do not just say goodbye to people. Saying goodbye is a process in my family. We will stand in the yard and wave and talk more and shout goodbyes and then when the car windows roll down, we still wave and yell bye until they are almost down the road AND then we will call them a few minutes later to check in. SERIOUSLY! This is the way! You should see my family at any holiday gathering. It is hilarious. We have seen others doing the same thing in the neighborhood. I will say it is not as common as it was growing up though nowadays. FOR US IT STILL IS!
While I do not treat football as a religion nor do I super care for it this list above is hands down accurate.



%20Facebook.jpg)










13 comments:
I am for sure a Yankee. 2 in the first row, 2 in the second row and 1 in the third!!
I am a new englander we say some of those things also. Y'all and ma'm are not in our vocabulary.
Catht
Well - I appear to be a Yankee. I got 2 in the first row, 2 in the second and 1 in the third!
That was fun!
I got 3 all up, so must be a Yankee, :)
hahaha! Your goodbye sounds like a northern English goodbye, minus the warning about the deer of course. It is a whole process.
I love the Southern traditions. I love the way people from the US say Sir and Ma'am, it isn't a thing here but football (soccer) is treat like a religion here.
I have never heard a lot of those sayings but still say to my girls were you raised in a barn and don't pitch a hissy fit and I have been three sheets to the wind many times. Oops.
I have only eaten three of those foods, I've not even heard of most of them. This was a fun read!
We have the "Michigan Goodbye" (which is akin to yours). The kids used to hate it -- "Why should we get our coats now when we all know it'll be another 20 minutes before we go." Point taken!
I got 13...raised by a Southern mama, for sure! But some of them on the list, I've never heard of! What is souse? or Chocolate gravy? I do consider myself more Yankee than not...but I love my Southern roots!:)
Ok, I looked it up. Souse: pickled pig parts! UGH!!!
Well this Yankee must really have some Southern genes in her somewhere.
First row : 9
Row 2: 7
Row 3: 7
I definitely say many of those sayings. I think its my old age and my folks were from the midwest and had their own lingo ... part of which was Swedish too, so I'm really a compilation of so many cultures.
Tomorrow I am combining Cloud and Blue.
What ever works ... (:0)
If I had my Druthers I would be just Piddling on the computer today ... instead hubby and I have to finish our bank forms and get them in the mail for some important transactions we are dealing with.
Dave and I always walk our family and guests out to the car and continue to gab some more ! Its just the way I was brought up...
Sue
Love this and thank you so much for the education. Lol I'm a northwoods girlie and about as far from the south as one gets in the country because only a few hours from me is Canada! Lol I love so many of the expressions. They just make me smile. But we have the "midwest goodbye" here too and it sounds a lot like your southern goodbye. Even down to the "watch out for deer!" Lol I scored pretty low on the southern foods list sorry to say. Although I have had gumbo and jambalaya and gator when I visited family in New Orleans and they were all awesome! I loved the food there.
My cousin and I love to have our pitiful pearl moments...we are Southern through and through with Southern drawls that take forever to say or be understood! haahaa! Sweet Southern hugs, Diane
Although I was born in PA, I moved to Florida when I was 5, but my mother remained a "Yankee cook", so a lot of these I did not try until I was an adult married to a true southern boy. I got 9, 9, and 6 = 24 total. Not bad for having a late start. We have lived in a lot of places, north and south, so our accent has toned down a bit, but we still say 'y'all come!". Have a blessed day!!
That's so funny, as a northerner I would say we're not that different. I've heard many of those sayings and the goodbyes...omigosh...they take forever! The food however, is where we differ!! I don't think I've eaten anything except cornbread, pigs feet, fried bologna and deviled eggs! Haha!
Post a Comment