Saturday, August 8, 2026

Menu Planning

Hello friends. I am finally glad to have a system that is working for me when it comes to menu planning, cooking dinner and grocery shopping for this season of my life. I have done a similar system for years but with ever changing seasons of life, numbers of people eating fluctuating as well, the system has changed off and on. I keep an eye out all week for any new recipes I would like to try. Then on Friday and Saturday I finalize the menu, make a grocery list, purchase online and schedule pick up for Saturday or Sunday afternoon. My husband goes with me & we pick up the items and then he unloads and I put away. 

This is majorly different from the past. In the past, I made a general list of meals I wanted to make and then headed to the store on Mondays or Tuesdays and shopped and took care of it all on my own weekly. I like the new system. I have noticed I have been saving more money as well by not going inside. Don't worry.... I do make a stop in the store weekly or biweekly to pick up my own produce because I do like having a time out in my community and I like to pick out most of my own produce. 



For the last three weeks I have made every single meal I planned. Most of them have been very good expect for two. Last week I did not care for the Pasta Fiesta, but the family loved it. I also made a pizza recipe off Pinterest using the Red Lobster Biscuit Mix. I do not recommend it. We ate it and it was okay, but we all agree it was not our favorite recipe or style of "pizza."



This week I am really looking forward to trying the Crispy Chicken Tender Tacos. I am following a recipe I found but tweaking it to our liking. We are going to omit the Cilantro Lime dressing sauce because we do not like cilantro.

Check out the recipe here



I usually try a couple of new recipes a week. I like variety now that I have more time on my hands to try new recipes more often. When the kids were younger, we were on a very tight budget, and I made the same simple frugal meals over and over and over. As I learned more about cooking and budgeting as well as time went on in my homemaking journey I ventured out and tried at least one new recipe a week. This helped me build up an arsenal of meals over the years, but even so I still like to try new recipes all the time. 





Do you all like trying new recipes often? I guess everyone's seasons in life could make a difference when it comes to that answer.

When it comes to finding recipes are you a cookbook person, online cooking sites or Pinterest person or both?

7 comments:

Mari said...

I try new recipes all the time. I love trying new things. 'I have also found that ordering and picking up groceries saves money, so does meal planning.
The chicken tacos look soooo good!

Karen said...

I do enjoy trying new recipes. I find them online, from my cookbooks, and often from friends.
I like the way you organize your menus and shopping. I had a plan (had to) when the kids were all at home, but I really do things now kind of seat-of-the-pants, and I don’t like it! Our daughter is living with us now, we have our grandkids over sometimes, and it’s just so hard to be organized when I don’t have a schedule. Hmph!

Prims By The Water said...

I plan my weekly meals every Saturday or Sunday and we shop for what we need on Monday. I try to cook with fresh veggies as much as possible. It is so much easier when you have a plan. Janice

Joanne said...

We try new recipes often too and I do think nowadays I find most of them online. Most we end up tweaking to our preferences too; we also do not like cilantro.

photowannabe said...

Since my husband has been more or less housebound since his falls I have found that I use Walmart delivery and Amazon Fresh when it was still in existence. I agree with you that I want to pick out my own produce. Some of those that pick out my items just don't get it and just grab the first thing that hits their hands. Ugn to some of the choices.
Buying on line really has helped us stay within our budget better too.
Since its just Dave and I most of the time for meals I have been in a rut and haven't ventured too much in the new recipe area. We sort of fly by the seat of "my" pants. And you know ... it works for us. I love coming here and seeing what your creative juices are making.
Continue healing,
Sue

HappyK said...

I shop the way you used to but now my husband and I both go. I like going to the store to pick out my own things.
We like trying new recipes. I mostly get recipes on line or on blogs.
I've gotten many delicious recipes from Mari who wrote the first comment!! I

Carol said...

My husband is very picky when it comes to food, but I do enjoy trying new recipes occasionally.

Weekend Recap- Seasons of Late Nights

 Happy Sunday!!!  This season is so unique. I am watching my children become young adults and use their talents and skills. My daughter star...