Hello everyone. My last post was Monday and that was only two days ago yet feels like a week ago at the same time. I wrote on seasons and the strange one I was in. Little did I know that "Little Note" post I wrote to you would make a little more sense why I have been feeling I didn't need to rush into anything again. The Lord always leads if we will be still and listen. To fully understand that post please read this past Monday's post if you would like.
Monday when I wrote that post my husband was preparing for a procedure for preventive screening. Tuesday morning, we woke up at 5 am to head to the medical plaza. We were laughing, make light of this "uncomfortable" procedure and the only reason I went to was because I had to drive him home afterwards.
The medical staff was so friendly. The doctor and anesthesia doctor came in and went over everything. The procedure is one most dread, so the staff made him super comfortable and keep it jovial and lighthearted. We laughed and cracked some silly jokes with them and each other. We took a silly picture of him to send to the kids, and he rolled out of the room. I went to a waiting area and wasn't even in the waiting room but a few minutes and was told to come back. I was thinking that was quite fast. He was in recovery and waking up slowly. He said he was hungry and I giggled. He was ready to eat. He had not eaten since Sunday at 6 pm.
As he was waking up from sedation, he was silly and we were laughing a little. The doctor walks in and had the look like you knew something was wrong. What was meant to be a preventive health screen revealed my husband has a large tumor in his colon and it is cancer. He could not even complete the colonoscopy because it was so large. He had to stop the procedure. We sat there in shock. The doctor was in shock. The nurse came in with a tissue box and then information came out of his mouth like a fire hydrant had been opened and we were rolled out to the car and sat in the car weeping and in shock.
I am asking if you pray, please lift up my husband and our family. To say that this has been a challenging year ALREADY is an understatement.
Derrick has a long road ahead, the doctor has stated. They believe this tumor to be 5-10 years old and that it is very important this had not spread to other areas for the best case scenario.
My husband has had no signs other than some change of bowels this year and some cramping. He thought it was age, IBS or poor diet. His bloodwork has been fine over the years. He has no medical history. He is on no medications. NO high bp, cholesterol or anything. Always had a clean bill of health as we know. He is also only 46. So, the doctor is very taken back and concerned. He has been very tired more this year than normal and mentioned he felt he needed to exercise more or cut some stress out. These are actually some mild signs of colon cancer, but they match normal aging things too making it easy to ignore.
With this said he goes THIS Tuesday to get a full body scan. Would you pray that this is contained and has not spread and that we have the best case scenario. A miracle!!!
Thank you
Chrissy T











2 comments:
I am so, so sorry to hear this. Oh of course I'll pray for him and for you. What awful news and not one you expect to hear during a routine screening.
Thank you so much, Joanne. It really is shocking such a hard time.
Post a Comment