Hello everyone. Before I take my "BLOG PAUSE" for a few days, I want to share my pantry challenge and daily photo challenge for today. I was going to share my photo for the daily photo challenge of SHADOW and post Wednesday but I loved what I captured today on my walk and had to share.
I love how the sun hit the trees just right and created this shadow that I was able to capture today. I walked two times today at 15 minutes each. I am pretty happy about that. I will say though I am sore this evening. Recovery is slower than I anticipated. :)
Below are my items that my lovely husband picked up for me today for the $5 Pantry Challenge. Please check out Mrs. Patsi's blog for details on this Summer Challenge being held on Mondays at The Working Pantry.
She encourages us to stock up on things we actually use as far as food and home supplies. Today, I stocked up on Green Beans. We purchased five cans. Our go to vegetable side dish is green beans. They are a staple in our home. I cook them very differently than most. I am from the SOUTH so my GREEN BEANS are very "southern tasting." In other words, they have FLAVOR and are a hit. I have a secret ingredient.
We are not in a season in our lives that gardening is something we can do. We used to garden. Matter of fact my husband is currently putting up tomatoes for the freezer right now because we were gifted a basket load yesterday from someone in the church. I can't wait to make some sauces, salsa and add those garden fresh tomatoes in chili, soup and stews this fall.
We are blessed by others because of their bounty. We are grateful for that. BUT this is just not our season in life for gardening.
On the most part we tend to lean toward our favorite canned veggies for our pantry. We do not like store bought frozen veggies other than broccoli and corn. When it comes to green beans it is canned green beans for us.
Here is my $5 stock up. Oh, I remember the day that canned green beans were $.40 and $.60 cents. Not here in my area. $1.00 is a deal nowadays and that is for generic/store brand.
The guidelines suggest for it to be a separate purchase and an intentional purchase to build the pantry. Basically, show a receipt of your intentional purchase with the amount suggested and be intentional that it is something that you are adding for stocking purposes and not just because you need it that day.
I hope to be more creative and stock up on so many other neat items over the next few months. This goes until September. Right now, I am limited physically. I am making a list of things to look for though as soon as I can get out.
Have a blessed day!
See you all in a few days!
Chrissy T













28 comments:
Hope all is well. Great idea on the pantry. Janice
Thank you, Janice!
five cans of beans for $5 is a real bargain. And i like your shadow picture :) I'm just going to go and check your other photo challenge posts. Take care of yourself, recovery can seem a long road.
Good on you for getting out and walking.
We use a lot of canned veggies but tend to go for peas instead of green beans, my family are not a fan of them.
I have been doing this in a regular basis since covid. I found I really liked having a full pantry. We are about an hr from Aldi so when we have Dr appointments in that area we do a stock up.
Cathy
That shadow shot is beautiful!
Green beans are a great staple.
Excited for you to enjoy those gifted tomatoes too.
Take care and rest well after your walks.
It's crazy how much prices have risen! I never thought I would think $1/can would be a good deal.
Green beans are our go to side dish also!
Oh yes, canned green beans are a must here in our pantry too. That is my hubby's favorite vegetable, and it is the easiest one to add to most any meal. I don't do a lot to it, except sometimes I add some onion and ham or bacon if I have it. But he's happy with just butter and salt and pepper, so that's fine with me. My other go to canned vegetable is beets. I love sliced beets. But for most other vegetables (except for things like pinto beans, black eyed peas, baked beans, etc.), I go with either fresh or frozen. I prefer fresh broccoli and squash and cabbage and carrots, etc. I don't have a lot of freezer space, but will get some frozen green peas and corn and lima beans when I can.
I'm glad you were able to get out and walk and I love the picture. I still haven't done my shadow picture as it has been so cloudy here this week and I haven't seen the right shadow yet to share. When I see it I will share it! Take care my friend, and enjoy your little daily outings. One day at a time!! (((HUGS)))
interesting, the pantry stock up. i never buy any canned vegetables, we always use fresh or frozen...and right now fresh is readily available and cheap at the farmers markets. i have a small garden going, i doubt it will produce much. my husband always calls my tomatoes the "one hundred dollar tomatoes". still, i think this is a great idea for many people...also buying in bulk when items are on sale. that's a great shadow image!!
Happy to hear that you are able to get out and walk a little.
We always have a well stocked pantry thanks to my husband! :)
I am so happy that you were able to get out and walk. Very good idea on the pantry, Chrissy.
Chrissy, your shadow photo is just beautiful — such a peaceful moment captured on your walk. I’m so glad you were able to get out twice today, even if recovery is moving slower than you hoped. I love seeing your pantry challenge updates too; those green beans made me smile. Enjoy your little blog pause.
That's a good idea to stock up on foods for the near future. It's great that you walked twice in one day! I've been wanting to get back to walking too, but I need more arch support on one foot, so I can't walk long distances, just around town. I'm glad you are enjoying the daily photo challenge. Have a sweet day Chrissy.
Your tree photo is so pretty! So happy to hear your stamina is growing. I would guess it still gets frustrating now being where you'd like - but you are making progess all the time and that is awesome!! Such a great idea and challenge. It's so cool that friends share their bounty with you. 💗
Stocking the pantry with things that one actually uses is a great way to build up the pantry with staples. And congratulations on those two 15-minute walks!
Thank you so much!
Oh, their bounty has been a blessing!!!
Thank you!
I like peas! Wish my family did!!
It is nice to have a nice pantry stock for sure.
Thank you, friend!! I definitely rest afterwards.
Oh, we also do like frozen lima beans. You just reminded me. LOL
Yes, we eat fresh in season but I do buy things like this for when we can't get fresh. I actually do not like the taste of frozen green beans at all. So, I stick with can for them. But in the season of summer we tend to eat fresh tomatoes, squash and things like that. I can't put things up this summer due to health. So, we just do what we can.
That is great!
Thank you!
Thank you so much!
Thank you so much
How nice of someone to share their garden bounty!
Post a Comment